History of Yadkin Baptist Church
The first meeting occurred in 1951 at the home of Hoke Crider on a Wednesday night with approximately thirty in attendance. Second meeting was held the following Sunday at a building belonging to Harold Lackey, which is currently Ken's Garden Center. Third meeting was held on the following Sunday. Sunday School was organized this day, with approximately thirty to thirty-five in attendance. At this time the church was not organized. It was only a mission. Mrs. Boone, from the Baptist State Mission Board, came and helped organized the Sunday School. The mission operated with Sunday School classes, worship service, and a Christmas program directed by Wilma Crider during this first year.
In February of 1952 the church moved to a store building belonging to Mrs. Flora Hager. This was located on Highway 115 next to the South Yadkin River steel bridge. Concrete block Sunday School rooms were added to the building by Hoke Crider. During early spring of 1952 Wilma Crider, Geneva Hicks, Rev. W.B. Rimmer and Henry Boggs met with the South Yadkin Baptist Association to join the Association. On March 23, 1952 the organizational service was held. Rev. T.L. Reece was the presiding moderator. The church membership grew from thirty-eight to seventy-two. Total gifts to the missions were $2,314.77.
The land where the present church is located was bought from Wilt Gibson in March of 1953 for $500 an acre. Billy Hager and Hoke Crider laid off the site for the church. The basement was completed in the fall for approximately $5000. The church moved into the basement to hold services in October.
The basement debt was paid off in the spring of 1954. Between 1956 and 1957 the GA program was started and the present sanctuary was built. By 1980 the church membership had grown to two hundred eight and five young men had been called into the ministry.
Construction on the fellowship hall was started in 1986. In March 1997 the church started an enlargement of our sanctuary, as well as a new addition of Sunday School rooms at a cost of 423,500. The work was completed debt free. The Fellowship Hall has been remodeled and enlarged with additional classrooms and offices downstairs.
In 2007 Yadkin Baptist Church was incorporated. Also, a new 2006 Ford church bus (27-seating capacity) was purchased at an approximate cost of $61,500. On 2/10/08, Rev. David Stanford answered the call to become Yadkins first full-time youth and children's minister.
Current church membership - 499, Sunday School enrollment - 192, Brotherhood 70, WMU - 77, Music - 70, and VBS - 154. Yes, God has truly blessed and he continues to bless Yadkin Baptist Church.
Thank you Lord!